Thursday, August 20, 2015

Recipe: Buttermilk Biscuits


Yesterday evening as I was tidying up the new blog, my 7 year old son peered over my shoulder and asked what 'hominy' was. Oh my goodness. I've completely taken for granted that if you're born and raised Southern, you know what hominy is. Perhaps I'd hoped he'd learned through osmosis? Because if you've had grits, you've eaten it. Hominy is coarsely ground corn, typically miaze, the yellow or white variety. It's not only used in Southern food, but Mexican cuisine as well, and might just explain why they're my two favorite types of foods to enjoy.


After explaining to him what 'hominy' was, I was struck by the need to share a very simple breakfast meal that earned rave reviews from my family. That's right, friends, it's time to pullout that full-fat buttermilk and make some biscuits.

I know, I know. You thought I was going to share a grits casserole or something along those lines didn't you? Not to worry, that will come. Today I'm sharing a recipe that's just as southern as grits, and goes well with your butter and preserves as well as any gravy.



Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
Yields 10

Ingredients

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (plus more for dusting your counter top)
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. of salt 
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, and make sure it's very cold
1 cup buttermilk

Directions

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. As it warms, combine your dry ingredients in a bowl or mixer. While your butter is still very cold, cut it into small chunks and slowly begin to add it to the dry ingredients, mixing together until it resembles course meal. Add your buttermilk until the entire mixture has combined. If it looks very wet, that's fine, it should. If it looks dry, slowly add a little extra buttermilk. 

On a floured surface (and I recommend getting some flour on your hands as well), turn the dough out and gently pat then fold a few times, pressing it down until it's about 1 inch thick. The key to any good biscuit is to NOT over-handle the dough. Please bear this mind as it's the difference between a fluffy biscuit and a tough one.

Use a round cutter (or any shape your prefer) then place on a cookie sheet. Placing them close together will give you softer sides, where if you place them about an inch apart will give you crustier sides.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, and upon removal from the oven you'll see those beautiful golden-brown biscuits you grew up seeing in the magazines. Feel free to brush a little melted butter on top if desired, but as is, and with a little bit of sweet potato butter, they're absolutely delicious.












3 comments:

  1. Oh my! I am glad you cleared that up for the sweet boy.
    miss y'all

    ReplyDelete
  2. I averted a near disaster, right? We miss you, too! when are you coming back to california for a visit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My plan is next year. I am sad it couldn't be this year.

      Delete

Thank you for taking a moment to leave a note. Have a marvelous day!