Thursday, September 1, 2016

Happy September First & A Recipe: Butterscotch Scones


Happy September, y'all! Here's a repeat post from last year on the same day. It's one of my most liked, and as I'm often asked for my scone recipe you'll see below how simple and delicious it really is. 

I am delighted to say that today has dawned cool and crisp. Not crisp enough to fool us into thinking Fall is just around the corner, but it's a nice reminder of the promise of the new season ahead. It makes me want to nest, drink more coffee, pull out the pumpkins, and bake.

Join me, won't you?

If you aren't already following Jenny Steffens Hobick's blog Everyday Occasions, you really should. She has a tremendous amount of talent in the kitchen (as well as other areas), and it's her basic recipe for scones that I used. After getting rave reviews accross the board from my family, it's definitely one I'll prepare again! Here is what you need, with my own notes added.

Basic Scones

Yields 8

Ingredients

2 cups plus 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 
1/4 cup sugar 
1 tablespoon baking powder 
1/2 teaspoon sea salt 
12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced 
2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten 
1/2 cup cold heavy cream 
*1 cup butterscotch chips 
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar 
*1/4 tsp sea salt 
*1/3 tsp vanilla

Directions

In a mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt using the paddle attachment. Cut the cold butter into 1/2 inch pieces. Add the butter to the dry ingredients and mix on low until the butter is mixed in and is the size of peas. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs and whipping cream with a fork. Turn the mixer on low and slowly add the cream and egg mixture. Turn off the mixer once added. Fold in butterscotch chips.


Put some flour on the counter (1/3 cup should be more than enough). Turn the dough out onto the floured surface. Add some flour onto the top of the dough, then pat it out into a disk - about 8-9 inches in diameter. Cut the disk into 6-8 pieces like a pie.



Separate the pieces and put them on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-17 minutes. 


Look how beautifully they come out! 


As they cool slightly, begin preparing your glaze. For a basic glaze, stir together powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk. But because there is extra sweetness due to the butterscotch, I added sea salt to give it a nice balance, and a bit of vanilla for depth. Spoon atop your warm scones and watch it slowly drip down the sides. It is a thing of beauty.



Once this is done, you must take the most important step and share these with those you love. I remember the last time I made these I may have made a mistake in preparing them a little too close to dinner time. But  everyone was happy and full, so I think my mistake was forgiven.

A few things to note: the sea salt I used came in a grinder so when it went into the glaze/dough it came out looking like normal table salt. You do not want chunky pieces in your mixtures. What could be less appetizing than biting into a piece of unground salt? Also, if you want a lighter glaze on your scones, add more liquid. Milk will create a thinner glaze than cream, so you do have options if some people don't care for a heavy topping.

Thank you for joining me in the kitchen today! Hopefully the first of September has brought you cooler weather as well, and motivates you to make a little something warm and delicious to usher in the Autumn days a little more quickly.



*my additions to original recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to leave a note. Have a marvelous day!