Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Entertaining: The Bar Cart


Every now and then the stars align and that certain something you've been hunting for, scouring the flea markets, antique shops, and consignment stores for, falls into your lap. In this case it was almost literal. I've been looking for a bar cart for years. Locating one hasn't been a real issue, but finding one that was reasonably priced...that's another story.


Persistence and patience paid off in spades when I was delivering items to a donation storage unit earlier in the month. When the door was opened I could see something bright shining in the darkness and after closer inspection discovered a beautiful "brass" bar cart! I was allowed to take it as long as I reorganized the space it came from and without a second to lose I was all over things.

I'll show you another time how it came to be such a pretty piece, but trust me when I say it was a labor of love, and in the end, that wasn't even the biggest challenge. Styling it was. 

Having seen them in homes and all over blogs, Pinterest, magazines, Instagram, you'd think it would be simple.  Brain: put the things on the cart. Done. 

But that's not how it worked-at least not for me. Something tells me I over-thought the entire process.


Taking time to look at some images and knowing the items I wanted to use, what jumped out at me was the use of size and scale. Every cart seemed to have this formula on the top shelf: larger items on the outside, smaller items in the middle, or items descending in size from tallest to shortest.

Knowing what I had on hand, and that I wanted to make my cart Fall-friendly with a neutral palate, I opted to play with the height and begin with a pumpkin, graduate to the bottles of champagne, then reach full height with a small pot of orchids. Once those items were in place the flutes were set in the front to add a bit of sparkle (not to mention the promise of a fun evening ahead!)


Feeling a bit more confident after styling the top, I knew what I wanted to do with the bottom and kept it pretty simple. A few books and a pop of color from a sugar pumpkin later, I was done and completely happy. 


Happy and bubbly! 


Cheers y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to leave a note. Have a marvelous day!